How to care for your candle
Here are a few tips and tricks to get the most out of your candle:
Soy wax is known to burn with minimal soot but all candles will emit a degree of soot if the wick is not cared for (see below). To Avoid soot and lengthen the life of your candle keep your wick trimmed to 5-8mm . This is particularly important to avoid black soot marks on glass container candles. If you have a Wooden wick these tend to be self-trimming, but if the excess burnt wood is longer than 6-7mm, break off the extra burnt wood before you light it.
If you have burned the candle a while and the flame is very low, you may need to remove the extra burnt wood at the top of the wick.
Soy wax has a memory in that it will follow the path of the previous burn so for the first time we recommend burning your candle until the wax has melted to the edge of the container. When you light it again it will follow that path and no wax will be wasted. It is also recommended that you burn your candle for a max of 4 hours each time and keep the wick trimmed to 5mm to 8mm.
Please remove all packaging prior to lighting and follow candle safety advice at all times.
Each size of candle or melt has an estimated burn time. The burn time is based on tests we do here and also by independent testers. There are many factors that effect burn time such as the ambient temperature of the room, container diameter and fragrance characteristics. This is why every candle is tested with every variation of container, fragrance or wax blend. Any estimation of time is based on burning your candle for a maximum of 4 hours in every 24 hours period and relies on following our candle care instructions including keeping the wick trimmed.
To prevent fire and serious injury
- Burn candle within sight and do not leave unattended.
- Keep away from drafts and vibrations.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn candles on or near anything flammable.
- Keep candle free of any foreign materials inc. matches and wick trimmings.
- Only burn the candle on a level fire resistant surface.
Candle containers get hot when burnt for a long time and may mark painted or varnished surfaces – we recommend the use of a candle plate under your candle to prevent scorching and accidental wax spillage.
When you’re done burning, blow out your candle, don’t extinguish with the lid or with water.
Once the candle has reached about 10mm of wax remaining, stop burning it.
Continuing to burn past this point is a fire hazard.
Soy wax candles burn slower and are more temperature sensitive than paraffin candles. Your burn rate and candle characteristics might be different depending on the temperature of the room you burn it in.
Re-use or recycle your packaging
We use metal tins which can be re-purposed and make great storage tins. Our Glass beeswax tumblers make great scotch glasses!